We Shall Help You Learn How To Restore Deleted Whatsapp Messages
- You can recover deleted WhatsApp messages by restoring your data from a backup.
- Androids can recover WhatsApp messages from a Google Drive or local backup, and iPhone can recover from an iCloud backup.
- If you deleted some messages and then backed up, those messages will also be deleted from the backup and won’t be recoverable.
Quick tip: You need to have backed up your WhatsApp to be able to recover the messages. And if you’ve only backed up your WhatsApp data after deleting the messages, then they will not be recoverable.
Have you ever deleted your WhatsApp messages by mistake and you have no idea of getting them back? Then worry not because this article has in store for you proven tactics to help you recover deleted WhatsApp messages for both Android and iPhone users.
In order to recover deleted WhatsApp messages, you must first enable the Chat Backup option in WhatsApp Settings. You can select to back up your chats daily, weekly, or monthly under the Auto Backup option. It’s also worth remembering that WhatsApp will only keep the most recent backup
One can lose their WhatsApp chats due to several reasons. This can happen if a user changes their device or delete their chats by mistake. This could lead to loss of important information shared on the chats, including contacts, maps, documents, etc., and any unsaved media. But thankfully, there is a way to retrieve deleted WhatsApp chats using the chat history saved either on your Google Drive or device.
WhatsApp doesn’t save your chats on its servers, but instead creates databases on your Google Drive or your device’s internal storage. This can be used to get back any chat history that has been deleted by mistake or lost due to some other reason
Therefore, without further ado, let’s dive in!
Understanding WhatsApp Chat Messages
Before learning how to restore WhatsApp messages, we must first understand more about WhatsApp and how the chat messaging work. So here is more.
• To be able to restore WhatsApp chats, you need to enable the WhatsApp backup option. You cannot restore the deleted messages unless the chat backup setting option is active.
• Another thing, you have to uninstall the WhatsApp app and then install it on the recent backup. This means that you could lose previous stored data that arrived before the recent backup and when you deleted the chat messages by accident. However, to turn on the WhatsApp backup setting; you need to go to Settings > go to >Chats go to > Chat backup. At this point, you can now set the backup frequency to daily, weekly, or monthly or set it to manual backup.
Restore From A Local Backup
- Download a file manager app.
- In the file manager app, navigate to your local storage or sdcard > WhatsApp > Databases. …
- Install and open WhatsApp, then verify your number.
- Tap RESTORE when prompted to restore your chats and media from the local backup.
Restore WhatsApp Messages from Google Drive Backup
In order to successfully restore or Retrieve a Google Drive backup, you just need to use the same Google account and phone number used to create the backup process.
Step 1. Firstly, Uninstall the WhatsApp on your device.
Step 2. Reinstall WhatsApp and sign in your account.
Step 3. There would be prompted with confirmation permission to restore your backup after you open the reinstalled WhatsApp. Please tap “Restore” at that time. To restore your messages, chats, and media from Google Drive.
Step 4. After the restoration process is finished, then tap NEXT. Your chats will be displayed once initialization is fully complete.
Step 5. After that WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files after your chats are restored.
- Allows only the option to backup and restore devices with the same operating system
- If you have not backed up before, you will not be able to restore data when you accidentally delete it.
- It does not allow you to selectively select data recovery and you need to restore entire files on a backup, so some of them are useless.
- If you skip the restore step when reinstalling WhatsApp, you’ll never be able to restore it that way.
That said; let’s learn different methods of restoring deleted WhatsApp chat messages.
Step By Step Guide On How To Restore Deleted Whatsapp Messages Via The Cloud Chat Backup
If you deleted WhatsApp chat messages by mistake, then the first place to check is the cloud backup. Assuming your last cloud or Google drive backup happened at midnight then the chat got deleted in the morning. Chances are; the chat can be retrieved from the chat backup. So here is the procedure.
1. The first step is to delete the WhatsApp application from your android device.
2. Then reinstall the WhatsApp app using your preferred phone number.
3. Once the app has been reinstalled, a prompt will appear on the screen asking you to restore messages from the Google drive cloud backup or iCloud for android users. At this point, all you need to do is to tap restore on the screen prompt.
4. By doing so, all the messages that got deleted by mistake will be automatically be restored. Restoring WhatsApp messages via Android’s local backup Another way of restoring deleted WhatsApp messages is by restoring them from the local backup on your android device. However, this method doesn’t work on iPhone devices.
Restoring Deleted Whatsapp Messages Via Android’S Local Backup
Therefore, if your Google Drive backup happens to overwrite the deleted chats, then the following steps might be helpful.
1. If the WhatsApp app is not found on your device, you need to go to your phone’s File Manager and then download Google’s Files App. From there go to WhatsApp folder > then go to Database. The Database folder has all the files backed up by WhatsApp and is stored locally on our Android device.
2. Secondly, you need to select the file named msgstore.db.crypt12 and rename it msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12. This means that this is now your new backup database thus preventing it from being overwritten. However, if things go south; you can always rename the file back to its original name. 3. At this point, you can now see a couple of files contained in this file format msgstore- YYY-MM DD.1.db.crypt12.
Since these are your old WhatsApp backups, you can now pick the most recent one and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12. Here is the most challenging part because you need to open Google Drive on your Android device, then tap on >Backups.
From here, you can now go ahead and delete the WhatsApp backup. This will automatically force your phone to restore the App from the local backup instead.
4. At this juncture, you need to uninstall the WhatsApp App, reinstall it and set it up. Once done, you will receive a notification prompting you to restore chats from the local backup; assuming you don’t have a cloud chat backup.
5. Lastly, you need to tap on restore and you will automatically restore deleted chat messages.
Restore Deleted WhatsApp Messages on Android without Backup
To recover deleted WhatsApp chats or messages on Android without backup, you have no choice but to take the benefit of some of the best Android data recovery software, which can help you get out the deleted but marked WhatsApp messages hidden on your device. Here’s an Android data recovery tool called PhoneRescue for Android that can easily do everything for you. Here are its highlights to recover Android WhatsApp messages.
Step 1. Download PhoneRescue and Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable.
Step 2. Scanning the deleted WhatsApp messages on your device.
Check WhatsApp messages only >> then Click on Next button on the right for scanning your deleted WhatsApp messages.
Step 3. Then Select the WhatsApp messages for recover. Firstly must be Preview and select WhatsApp messages and other attachments which you want to recover >> Click on Recover button on the right corner to retrieve the selected WhatsApp messages, chats and other.
Finally, the above tactics are the only proven methods that are useful in restoring deleted messages. So no more worries of wondering whether you will get back previously deleted WhatsApp messages because the above two methods will help you. Also if you have installed a fresh WhatsApp and you need your old chats back; the above methods will help you provided you have an active chat backup setting.